Almost one year into the COVID-19 pandemic, the ecommerce landscape is continuing to transform in ways that even the most seasoned marketing executive couldn’t have predicted – and the consumer-packaged goods (CPG) and online grocery industries are no exception. Let’s dive into the latest stats and trends around CPG and online grocery and the tremendous impact of the coronavirus pandemic on this industry.
CPG and online grocery are facing a new reality and are continuing to transform as the coronavirus still poses a serious threat in many parts of the world. In light of the pandemic, CPG and online grocery are appealing options to buy essential items for consumers with safety concerns.
Are you a CPG or online grocery brand with big goals for 2021? Our team would love to work with you to help achieve them, whether you’re looking to increase your Amazon sales, improve your paid search presence, or optimize your website and landing pages. Reach out anytime through our consultation page to connect one-on-one with an industry expert who can help identify untapped growth potential for your business.
The State of CPG
- Mobile now accounts for 73.2% of all CPG digital ad spend
- Digital ad spending in the US consumer packaged goods (CPG) industry will increase 5.2% to $19.40 billion this year
- Digital video ad spending made up 47.5% of CPG display advertising spend
- CPG display advertising now makes up 28.6% of overall CPG digital ad spend
- CPG display ad spend grew 17.1% to $5.54 billion in 2020
- CPG and online grocery appeal to consumers because they provide pandemic-safe options for purchasing essential items. Consumer packaged goods are any items that consumers use almost daily and replace frequently, including food & beverage, personal care items, and household products. With the pandemic causing health and safety concerns, CPG and online grocery have surged as the most safe and efficient way to get these essential items.
Online grocery trends & stats for 2021
- Online grocery sales increase 53% to $89.22 billion in 2020
- Online grocery sales projected to hit $129.72 billion by 2023, a growth of 17%
- 131 million digital grocery buyers in 2020, a 41.9% increase from 2019
- 68% of new digital grocery shoppers intend to continue online grocery in the future
- $7.2 billion US grocery delivery & pickup sales by June 2020
- Insider Intelligence, US CPG Digital Ad Spending 2020 Essential Goods and Personal Care Products Drive Growth During Pandemic.
- Insider Intelligence, Online grocery sales will increase by nearly 53% this year.
- Statista, Sales of grocery delivery and pickup in the United States in August 2019 and March to October 2021.
- Digital Commerce 360, [Charts] How ecommerce and small businesses were affected by COVID-19.