The auto parts and accessories sector witnessed significant growth online in 2020 and 2021, with ecommerce up across the board due to COVID-19. Online auto care, parts, sales, and accessories sales reached new heights last year and will break more records in the years to come.
US online sales of new auto parts and accessories surged 29.9% to exceed $16 billion in 2020.
As shopper behavior continues to fluctuate and supply chain concerns resound around the world, what does the future hold for the auto parts and accessories industry? If your brand falls into this category, how can you ensure you’re staying ahead of a rapidly evolving marketplace with successful conversion-driving strategies?
In this infographic, you’ll dive into the latest automotive accessories and car parts industry stats and trends, how the coronavirus pandemic has impacted this industry, and tips and strategies for automotive accessories and car parts industry brands in 2021.
The State of the Automotive Industry
2021 ecommerce auto parts & accessories trends & stats
- 29.9% of US online sales of new auto parts and accessories surged 29.9% to exceed $16 billion in 2020
- US online sales of new auto parts and accessories are expected to reach $17.7 billion in 2021
- Amazon has been a key driver of this growth, selling $8.3 billion in auto parts last year (not including third-party sales)
- Mobile makes up approximately 65% of total traffic to auto parts and accessory websites
- Mobile sales of new auto parts and accessories purchased are expected to reach $11.7 billion this year
COVID-19’s impact on the auto parts & accessories industry
- The auto parts and accessories industry didn’t just reach record heights last year – it also surged past what experts projected pre-pandemic
- Pre-pandemic estimates had US online sales of new auto parts and accessories at $14.1 billion in 2020, but that number actually exceeded $16 billion
- The auto parts & accessories industry saw an additional $1.9 billion in online revenue due to the pandemic
- US online sales of new auto parts and accessories exceeded $16 billion in 2020
Ecommerce strategies & tips for auto parts & accessories brands
- Digital activity is projected to influence $154.6 billion in auto sales in 2021, up from $140.9 billion in 2020. That’s expected to surge to $161.1 billion in 2022 and $168 billion in 2023.
- When it comes to your brand’s online shopping experience, keeping things simple is key. Remember that saving time is a key reason that consumers shop online. In fact, when it comes to purchasing a vehicle, 83% of consumers shop online in order to save time.
- Digital Commerce 360, Online auto parts and accessories sales projected to grow 29.9% in 2020.
- IBISWorld, Online Automotive Parts & Accessories Sales in the US – Market Size 2004–2029.
- Cox Automotive, Car Buyer Journey Study: Pandemic Edition Media Summary.