Search engine optimization (SEO) ranks as a close #2 for the top digital strategy for marketing professionals right now. As a highly profitable strategy to get your brand in front of more customers, SEO and organic search present brands with a potential untapped revenue opportunity to drive growth a high return. In this infographic, explore data from ROI’s survey of over 170 digital marketing professionals plus additional outside research to feed your understanding of the current ecommerce SEO landscape.
The State of Search Engine Optimization
From Exclusive ROI Survey Data
- SEO is the #2 biggest initiative for digital marketing professionals
- Over 50% of marketing decision-makers say SEO is a top initiative for their brand
- SEO is a top initiative across brands of all levels of annual revenue:
- $0-$10 million: 55.7%
- $10-$100 million: 55.8%
- $100 million-$1 billion: 45.5%
- $1 billion+: 54.6%
- SEO is a top initiative for 61.5% of electronic & technology brands
- 32% of internet users say they find new brands or products via search engines
- 72% of online marketers say content creation is their most effective SEO tactic
- Mobile makes up 63% of all US search engine visits
Trending Issues According to SEO Professionals
Biggest challenges faced by SEO professionals:
- Budget cuts: 37.6%
- Strategy issues: 34.8%
- Lack of resources: 32.9%
- Management & stakeholders: 27.3%
- Scaling processes: 25.8%
Top threats to SEO, according to SEO professionals:
- Zero click pages: 38.7%
- Google updates: 35.1%
- Machine learning: 28.4%
- Third-party cookie changes: 22.9%
- Offline brand awareness: 17.8%
SEO Trending Data
- Google dominates the search engine market by far, with 86.2% compared to Bing at 7.2% and Yahoo! at 2.3%
- 64% of SEO marketers say mobile optimization is an effective investment
- Nearly 1 in 4 companies invest in mobile optimization as an SEO tactic
- 68% of bloggers use SEO to drive traffic to their articles
- 72% of online marketers ay their #1 SEO tactic is content creation
- The #1 SEO tool used by marketers is Google Analytics
Top Metrics Used to Measure SEO Strategy Success
- Keyword rankings
- Organic traffic
- Time spent on page
The first 5 search results on Google get 67.6% of clicks. The next 5 receive just 3.7%.
- ROI Revolution, 2022 State of Digital Marketing Survey.
- Statista, Mobile share of organic search engine visits in the US from Q3 2013 to Q4 2021.
- Statista, Leading SEO challenges worldwide as of June 2021.
- Statista, Worldwide desktop market share of leading search engines from January 2010 to July 2022.
- Statista, Leading threats to search engine optimization (SEO) worldwide as of June 2021.
- HubSpot, State of Marketing Report, 2021.
- IsItWP, 100+ Amazing Blogging Stats & Facts (Ultimate List 2022).
- Forbes, The Value Of Search Results Rankings.