Since emerging as an image re-sharing platform in 2010, Pinterest has emerged as a key marketing strategy component for many brands. In fact, US Pinterest advertising revenue has grown by over 5x since 2017, and by 2026, US ad revenue for the platform is expected to surpass $4 billion for the first time ever!
In this infographic, explore key stats and trends about the state of Pinterest advertising and walk away with a comprehensive understanding of how your brand could leverage the platform to achieve your ecommerce revenue goals.
The State of Pinterest Advertising
Pinterest at a Glance
Projected Pinterest global advertising revenue (in billions):
- 2022: $2.51
- 2023: $2.91
- 2024: $3.32
- 2025: $3.73
- 2026: $4.13
- In 2023, Pinterest global ad revenue will grow 16% year-over-year
- In 2025, Pinterest global ad revenue will be more than double what it was in 2020
- Average revenue per Pinterest user in the US and Canada grew 20% in 2022
- Fashion, home & garden, and DIY are the top categories on Pinterest
Pinterest User Growth & Demographics
- Pinterest was the fastest site in history to reach 10 million unique monthly visitors
- There are currently 444 million monthly active users on Pinterest worldwide
- Pinterest’s audience grew 12.4% YOY in 202 (Instagram is the only platform that saw more growth!)
- 62% of US adults use Pinterest
- Pinterest user share by gender:
- Female: 77% (the majority of Pinterest users are females aged 25-34)
- Male: 15%
- Unspecified: 8%
Gen Z on Pinterest
- Pinterest has 23 million Gen Z users
- Between 2020 and 2025, the number of Gen Z users on Pinterest is expected to grow by 9.4 million – an increase of more than 56%!
Pinterest Compared to Other Social Media Channels
- Pinterest ads are 44% more affordable than Meta ads in terms of cost per impression (CPM)
- Pinterest has more monthly active users than Twitter or Reddit
- Pinterest gets 8.23% of the total social media website visits in the US – more than Instagram, YouTube, or Reddit!
- Pinterest is the #1 platform for inspiration among all forms of media
Privacy & Trust on Pinterest
- 30% of Pinterest users say that Pinterest protects their privacy and data
- The only platform that users trust more than Pinterest for data privacy is LinkedIn at 31%
- Pinterest ranks #2 among social media platforms for users trusting that their privacy and data are protected
- Pinterest ranks #1 in reliable content among all major social media platforms, surpassing the previous leader of LinkedIn
Social Commerce on the Rise on Pinterest
- 16% of US social commerce buyers shop via Pinterest
- In 2025, the number of US social commerce shoppers who buy through Pinterest will be more than double what it was in 2019
- In 2025, Pinterest will have 15.8% of the social commerce buying share
- Pinterest is the #4 social commerce destination, surpassed by TikTok, Instagram, and Facebook
- Pinterest shopping revenue is growing twice as fast as overall revenue
US social commerce buyers who shop on Pinterest (in millions):
- 2020: $12.1
- 2021: $15.0
- 2022: $15.9
- 2023: $16.9
- 2024: $17.5
- 2025: $18.1
Tying It All Together: The State of Pinterest Advertising
Pinterest advertising is a key driver of revenue, brand awareness, and new customer acquisition for many brands. At ROI Revolution, our trusted social media experts work as an extension of your team to increase awareness and convert more visitors into customers – not just on TikTok but also Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Snapchat, and more!
To explore the untapped growth opportunities we can discover for your brand, reach out to our team today at ROIRevolution.com/TikTokInfographicContactUs.
But don’t just take our word for it! In the case studies below, follow the journey of some of the brands we’ve helped grow through social media:
- PUMA Drives Increased Conversion Value & ROAS Through Facebook Attribution
- Happiest Baby Grows Conversions Over 20x With Paid Search & Social Media Advertising
- Medals of America Sees 40% Lift in Click-Through Rate by Adding Reviews to Facebook Ads
- Luxury Fashion Brand Grows Revenue 92% at 15x ROAS Through Facebook Advertising
- Auto Parts Brand Grows Revenue 431% With YouTube Remarketing
Looking for more information on social media advertising? Gain some insights from the resources below!
- White Paper: The State of Social Media
- White Paper: The Full-Funnel Meta Report
- Blog: Why – and How – to Take a Full-Funnel Approach to Meta Advertising
- Blog: The Future of Social Media Marketing: Influencer Marketing Trends, Augmented Reality, & More
- Blog: Trending Social Media Platforms & Ecommerce: TikTok, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Reddit & More
- Infographic: The State of Social Media Marketing
- Blog: Pinterest Product Feeds: What Your Brand Needs to Know
- Statista, Pinterest advertising revenue worldwide from 2017 to 2026.
- Statista, Number of monthly active Pinterest users worldwide from 1st quarter 2016 to 4th quarter 2022.
- Statista, Most popular social networks worldwide as of January 2023, ranked by number of monthly active users.
- Statista, Number of Generation Z users in the United States on selected social media platforms from 2020 to 2025.
- Statista, Leading social media websites in the United States as of March 2023, based on share of visits.
- Statista, Year-on-year audience growth of selected social media platforms worldwide as of January 2023.
- Statista, Distribution of Pinterest users worldwide as of January 2023, by gender.
- Statista, Distribution of Pinterest audiences worldwide as of January 2023, by age group and gender.
- Statista, Percentage of U.S. adults who use Pinterest as of March 2021, by gender.
- Statista, Leading traffic referrers to Pinterest.com worldwide as of May 2022.
- Statista, Leading social media traffic referrers to Pinterest.com worldwide as of May 2022.
- Insider Intelligence, Privacy the leading factor in social ad engagement.
- Insider Intelligence, Pinterest’s head of shopping product marketing talks social commerce ambitions.
- Insider Intelligence, Pinterest’s ad campaign highlights ‘a different side of the internet’.
- Insider Intelligence, Social Commerce Forecast 2022.
- Insider Intelligence, Facebook will stay atop the US social commerce ladder.
- Insider Intelligence, Pinterest revs up social commerce with new shopping features for retailers.
- Insider Intelligence, Pinterest continued shedding users in Q2 as it aggressively ramped up social commerce initiatives.