77% of internet users use social media to search for more information on brands. To gain a deeper understanding of the highly valuable social media marketing landscape, we surveyed 170 digital marketing professionals about the trends, obstacles, and opportunities top-of-mind for their business.
In this infographic, explore the top social media trends for ecommerce brands right now!
The State of Social Media Marketing
Top-of-Mind Social Media Trends & Initiatives
- Social media: 50%
- Social media is the #1 initiative for doers
- Emerging social media platforms: 41%
- Video advertising: 41%
- Social commerce: 36%
- Influencer marketing: 35%
US brands will spend $4.62 billion on influencer marketing in 2023
Influencer marketing is a top initiative for 35.1% of brands
31.6% of digital marketers say authenticity and trust are top-of-mind for their brand
Attribution & the iOS Update
April 2021 marked the release of iOS 14, which started requiring users to manually opt into app tracking
Attribution is the #1 trend for digital marketers
Tracking opt in rate:
- Before iOS 14 update: 70%
- After iOS 14 update: 21%
New & Rising Social Media Platforms
- Emerging social media platforms are top-of-mind for 41.4% of digital marketing professionals
- Social media channel user growth in 2021:
- TikTok: 18.3%
- Reddit: 14.4%
- LinkedIn: 4.2%
- Instagram: 3.7%
- Pinterest: 3.1%
- Snapchat: 2.6%
- Facebook: 0.8%
- Twitter: 0.2%
67% of TikTok users say they have been inspired by the community to shop even when they weren’t looking to do so
52% of users say they intentionally search for products or shop on TikTok
LinkedIn makes up one-third of all US B2B digital display ad revenue
Time spent on social media daily:
- TikTok: 46 minutes
- Twitter: 35 minutes
- Snapchat: 30 minutes
- Facebook: 30 minutes
- Instagram: 30 minutes
- Reddit: 24 minutes
Reddit ad revenue (in millions):
- 2020: $161.4
- 2021: $305.1
- 2022: $423.8
- 2023: $522.4
US social media video ad spend (in billions):
- 2019: $11.14
- 2020: $14.68
- 2021: $20.28
- 2022: $24.35
- 2023: $28.21
Trend Spotlight: Social Commerce
- Social commerce will grow 3x faster than traditional ecommerce between now and 2025
- 35% of digital marketing decision-makers say social commerce is top-of-mind
- The #1 trend for apparel & accessories brands is social commerce
- Social commerce is top-of-mind for 50% of brands with over $1 billion in annual revenue
- By 2025, social commerce will account for 16.7% of all ecommerce spending
Augmented Reality on the Rise
- 56% of TikTok users say AR makes the shopping experience easier
- 42% of TikTok users pay more attention to ads with augmented reality
- 43% of Instagram users say AR makes the shopping experience easier
- Pinterest users are 5x more likely to purchase a pinned product with the AR-powered Try On feature than other pins
- AR & VR users in the US (in millions):
- 2019: 72.8
- 2020: 83.7
- 2021: 93.3
- 2022: 101.6
- 2023: 110.1
- GWI, Report: The biggest social media trends.
- Insider Intelligence, US Virtual and Augmented Reality Users 2021 XR Use Expands Beyond Fun and Games.
- Insider Intelligence, New forecast: US influencer marketing is now a $3 billion-plus industry.
- Insider Intelligence, Social Commerce 2021: Media and Commerce Convergence Creates Growth Opportunity for Brands.
- Statista, Social network video advertising spending in the United States from 2019 to 2023.
- Insider Intelligence, Reddit’s US ad revenues will nearly double in 2021.
- Insider Intelligence, US Social Media Usage 2022 Facebook Falters, Instagram Steadies the Ship, and TikTok Scores with Social Video.
- RetailDive, Pinterest adds augmented reality feature for home decor.
- Insider Intelligence, LinkedIn holds a third of all US B2B digital display ad revenue.
- TikTok for Business, Unwrap Inspiration with the TikTokMadeMeBuyIt Holiday Gift Guide.
- ZDNet, Consumers trust user-generated content more than traditional advertising.